Ultimately, physical and emotional weight go hand in hand, by achieving balance with both, you can live your happiest and healthiest life. Fitness crazes come and go, but if you’re looking for a workout that ramps up results, these dumbbell exercises used offer serious gains.
The premise is pretty simple: there’s no need for fancy kit or grueling machinery, this is a no-frills workout with minimal equipment required. Weights are kept low (beginners starting on a tiny 1kg with advanced levels using up to 5kg) and reps are high to work muscles to fatigue.
The focus is on enhancing flexibility and balance and improving endurance and energy while sculpting a dancer’s physique. Free weights will help you tighten and tone. Want to give these dumbbell exercises a go? Try these moves two to three times a week to de-stress, sculpt and slim your whole body.
Glute Bridge (Legs & Glutes):
Beginner: Sets 1 Rep 20 Weight 1.5kg
Intermediate: Sets 1 Reps 20, hold last rep for 3sec Weight: 2-3kg
Advanced: Sets 1 Rep 20 rising onto the balls of your feet, hold last rep for 10sec Weight: 4-5kg
- Lie on your back and place two weights on your hips, holding them in place with your hands.
- Bend your knees, bringing your feet up to your bottom.
- Lifting your bottom, curve your lower spine up toward the ceiling, tucking your pelvis upward, but keeping most of your back on the floor.
- Make the movement small and isolated to target your bottom effectively.
Field Goal Thruster (Shoulders):
Beginner: Reps 20 Weight: 1-2kg
Intermediate: Reps 20 Weight: 2-3kg
Advanced: Reps 20 reps plus 20 pulses Weight 4-5kg
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, raise your arms to shoulder height, bending your elbows at a 90º angle, palms facing forward.
- Keeping your chest open, core tight and elbows back, press up to the ceiling and then lower back down to the starting position.
- If you feel the tension in your neck or back, switch to lighter weights.
Dumbbell Side Bend (Obliques):
Beginner: Reps 10 each side
Intermediate: Reps 15 on each side
Advanced: Reps 20 on each side
- Position a pair of weights on top of one another to form the letter X and hold them in your right hand with your arm by your side.
- Ensure your feet are wider than your hips and position your left hand behind your head.
- Slightly tuck your tailbone forward, keep your chest open and lifted, then lean to your right for two counts before returning to the centre over two counts, using your upper body.
- Perform all the reps on one side before repeating on the other side.
- Keep good posture throughout.